Every club has its rules and so too does Club20. If you’re not feeling so great or have a friend who isn’t, these guidelines may be of help. Have them gold-foiled, get them framed and hang them on your wall.
- If feeling poorly, do something. Speak to a friend, see your GP or get a little exercise. Pulling doona over head is not acceptable behaviour.
- If you have a job, go to it. It is better to struggle through eight hours with your workmates than eight hours with Ellen and her audience.
- Psychologists and psychiatrists are not to be scared of. If you had heart problem you’d happily see a specialist. Same applies to head problems.
- Medication? See point three.
- Never be afraid to ask. If you’re concerned about someone’s wellbeing, ask them. Ill or not, they’ll love you for it.
- If you’re going through hell it’s best to keep going.
- The road to recovery has no dead ends but many potholes and detours. Be patient.
- Meditation, mindfulness and controlled breathing are notfor wankers. They’re proven techniques to reducing stress. Learn them.
- Be prepared to laugh at yourself. Hey, everyone else is.
- Ignoring mental illness is the first sign of craziness.
- One of the best ways to take your mind off yourself is to think of others.
- Don’t let your illness become an excuse. Occasionally you are permitted to act like a dickhead but don’t make a habit of it.
- Trust someone implicitly before confiding.
- Sleep your way to the top.
- Be self-aware, not self-obsessed
- Your mind can be a terrible liar. Be prepared to tell it to f’ off.
- Never ever tell a sufferer to ‘snap out of it’. They may snap, but it will be at you.
- 20% of Australian workers suffer from some form of mental illness every year. If you do, you are not alone. Never, ever.
- Boring as it may sound, diet, exercise and sleep are the basis of good mental health.
- Sometimes rules are included just to make up a nice round number. This is one of those rules.
And if that’s not enough, there are a few more tips from the Government here:
Word Count: 341